Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Fair Trading

A little Christmas present was given to me couple of days before I left for London for the Holidays (oh yeah, now I'm back in Oxford). And that present has left me thinking and somewhat a little guilty... they were Divine Fairtrade Milk Chocolate Coins.
I have always been supportive of getting rid of poverty, hence the support for Live 8. But thinking back of my actions, I realised that I've never really bothered to make sure that I buy fair trade things. Have I been contradicting myself all this while? Could it be that I've been buying sugar at the expense of some poor farmer in Central America?...
Later, I've rummaged through my cupboard, but none of the products bore that Fairtrade logo. My heart sank. Luckily, a quick surf on the internet informed me that my Twinnings tea has a fair trade policy. So was my Cadbury's cocoa powder...
Earlier today, I've gone to my local supermarket for a bit of shopping. And for the first time I actually checked for Fairtrade labelled products :). Now I'm not one that makes new year resolutions, but I'm definitely making a resolution to be fair trade aware and buy products that has an ethical trade policy.
So little does the giver of that present know that his gift was not only just nice chocolates for the Christmas cheer, but a reminder for me to do my part in making poverty history.
Thanks.

Find out more about Fairtrade.

No comments: