Tuesday, January 13, 2009

under-over-reacting: NHS vs self-help

So it has been like a month since my bike accident. My wrist still hurts, my back and shoulder still aches. Within the first week of my fall, I have already been to the GP for a check in case that the damage done was more serious than I had anticipated. OK, it doesn't help that my colleagues at work are scaring me with the possibilities of my condition but they were looking out for my best interest, I guess. Anyway, the diagnosis was that I have a sprain or sprains, and was advised with normal movement and NIASD for my pain. Unfortunately, ibuprofen is not a good friend of mine and I soon found it's ugly side-effects. In other words, they don't seem to do much for me.

Days later after my visit with medical professionals, and after trying his recommendation, I found myself still in pain and no improvement really. I really hate having to go back to my GP with his bored don'twastemytimewithyourminorailments face and somehow I left me feeling that I have over-reacted on a small injury... so off to Boots I go and got me a tubigrip to keep my joints in place. AND IT HELPS!

Now why didn't the bloody doctor advise me on this instead told me to keep using my arm as normal but no heavy lifting? The more joint movements I make the more painful they become. Surely this is not NORMAL?

Now at week 5, I'm finding my wrist a little bit improved. But shoulder and back is getting no better and my thumb joints are getting worse. I now have a neoprene wrist and thumb brace for people with carpal tunnel syndrome so I can keep working somewhat at my own expense.

Do I nag the NHS GP again? Or should I wait and do more DIY medical care? So far I have helped more than the doctor. Part of me feels like I'm over-reacting, yet part of me thinks I'm taking things too lightly...

At any case, I'm stuck with a situation where my work is suffering...

Bleh!

No comments: