Thursday, October 20, 2005

Walk away

Today, I got my first glimpse of the animal rights protesters. They were on the opposite side of the road, while the police stood on the the other. The activists hung banners and held their pickets; and the police armed with cameras, and even a video-camera apart from their usual gear. And there was siIence, save for a car or bicycle that passes by occasionally. I can't help to feel the tension in the air as I walk pass them (police side, of course). I had half expected shouting and insults to be heard from the activists, but I guess that is what the police are hoping to film. Yet, their presence is felt as they look straight at the empty construction site behind the police that is to be a block of research labs. But then I gave a shrug, walked away, and went on with my day.
Though today's demonstration seemed calm, I know that is just deception. The damages they did to the university buildings and threatening letters they've sent speak for themselves.

"Mascara bleeds a blackened tear. And I am cold. Yes, I'm cold. But not as cold as you are. I love the sound of you walking away. Why don't you walk away?"
- Franz Ferdinand

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Moshunter said...

Sorry, had to delete the first two spams. Damn people!

Ping @ Phalanx said...

Whoa. I sure hope they're not the same set of the nutters as the Darley Oaks bunch!